Residents and professionals both intend to use portable band saws to cut wood or steel efficiently. There is an evident reason behind it! The reason is that using heavy power tools at times demands a lot of expertise and professional handling. However, it is not the case with portable band saws.
A rookie can learn how to use a portable band saw for woodworking, metalworking, or butcher works. Hence, you can conclude that this product is a game-changer.
How To Use a Portable Band Saw
Irrespective of whether you are a homeowner or working at construction workshops, you need the best portable band saw for the aforementioned uses. And what’s more important to know is that portable band saws do not compromise on giving clean cuts over wood and other metals. Also, it is an ideal replacement for circular saws, which is also a comfortable alternative.
Apart from that, a portable band saw is a better alternative to hand saws. So, it is time that you get an idea of how to use a portable band saw to master its use.
Step 1: Get to Know the Portable Band Saw
To begin with, you need to get basic knowledge about the portable band saw. It is important because a theoretical idea before practical implementation is always helpful in mastering almost anything, even band saw. Here are the things that you need to know:
- A band saw operates with the use of a serrated blade.
- It implements a pulley mechanism that allows the saw edge for carrying out continuous & clean cuts.
- The trigger switching operation for a portable band saw is the same as that of power drills and circular saws.
- Do not confuse a portable band saw with a table saw. Both of them are different from each other.
- A portable band saw comes with a separate switch for selecting the right saw speed to suit the cutting requirements for diverse projects.
- Check the user manual of the portable band saw that you have bought or rented. It is the most important job for you to do before you proceed with the cutting projects.
Step 2: Arrange the Safety Measures
- Prefer to wear tight-fitting clothes. It is because loose clothes are the major reason for which people encounter power tool adversities.
- You need to wear protective glasses to ensure additional safety during the cutting procedure.
- Consider wearing safety boots for safeguarding the feet from tool injuries.
Step 3: Get the Portable Band Saw Ready
For preparing the portable band saw, you need to look after some of the major considerations. The steps include:
- Adjust the track, as it will allow you to fix the blade path of the saw. The saw will be moving through two pulleys.
- Align the saw track with cutting material for driving the line of cut. It is essential for accurate cutting.
- Check for the guide roller to be set free before you commence with the cutting job. Free guide roller will guide the blade from damages due to wrapping and bending.
- Check the cutting shoe, as it is the metal guide that is flat and has a notch. Its job is to prevent the material from dragging during the cutting process. Hence, it determines accuracy.
Step 4: Make the First Cut with Portable Band Saw
- Outline the pattern that you intend to follow for cutting the material.
- Use a pencil and a scale for outlining the cut over the material.
- Fix the cutting material onto the board to prevent it from changing its position due to the vibration of the band saw.
- If you are cutting woodblock or pipe, then use a clamp or vice for the purpose.
- Now, align the portable band saw blade with the cutting outline.
- Place the saw blade close to the inscription to make parallel adjustments.
- The edge should replicate a perpendicular position with stock.
- Start the portable band saw by pressing the trigger over it.
- Let the blade reach the desired or set potential.
- When you are sure about the speed, commence with cutting the material.
- The only thing you need to do is hold the blade over the cutting line mildly (not too hard, nor too loose).
- Look for the alignment of the blade to ensure that it doesn’t deviate from the cut line.
- When the cut line reaches the end of your cutting stock, prefer to slow down the blade. You can do it by just removing your hands off the trigger.
To get a proper visual demonstration to understand the above steps, here is a YouTube link for your reference. Check it out where a man is describing the method of using a portable band saw!
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Shouldn’t I Pressurize My Band Saw Blade To Cut More Efficiently?
It is a myth that you need to put more pressure while using a band saw to cut objects. Remember that the blade teeth can remove only a minimum amount of material in every cutting session. Therefore, pressurizing the saw blade to exceed its limit will damage the blade and the tool as well.
What Kind Of Blades Can I Use With My Portable Band Saw?
A portable band saw provides precise cutting with its appropriate blade. Therefore, you need to choose the right one that is compatible with the band saw. In fact, you need to consider some of the crucial factors such as construction material, teeth per inch, width, and others. To know more about how you can choose a blade for your portable band saw, here is an information resource for the same.
Remember, even if you master the use of a portable band saw, you should never be too confident to ignore the safety measures. Ensure you are always maintaining a notable distance from the band saw while you implement the cutting process. It is because there will be dust or remnants flying all over that might harm your face or eyesight due to any ignorance of protective measures.
So, keep all the instructions in check, and get your precise and clean cuts with a portable band saw.